Hydrogen, Fuel Catalyst and Alternative Fuel Forum
December 12, 2017, 01:26:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: **** Latest 2017 estimates are that we have between 50 and 89 years of Fossil Fuels left based on present production - We have an obligation to humanity to explore all possible Fossil Fuel alternatives...... Do your bit for humanity and invite all your friends to this Forum.........

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Homemade wet cell generator for non-vehicle use  (Read 249 times)
Futterama

« on: October 18, 2017, 06:57:13 AM »

Hello forum,

I'm fascinated by things that goes boom without any kind of projectiles involved, so a HHO generator is the perfect thing for me  Grin

I still remember my last day at high-school where my chemist teacher filled a latex glove with 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen and set it on fire in the backyard, it was amazing!

Here 17 years later, I wanted to repeat that experience. So I did a quick and dirty HHO generator from an empty plastic bottle, 2 regular steel plates 2x4" and water-NaOH solution. I have a DC powersupply capable of 1-30V max 20A, so I used that to power the generator. The plates were very far apart, around 2". There was half a liter of water with a small teaspoon of NaOH mixed in.

I put a small plastic bag over the opening of the generator and let it fill around a liter into the bag. I took it all outside and had my fun with safety goggles, earmuffs and a long propane powered weed burner for ignition.

It took forever to fill the small plastic bag and I was running pretty high voltage and current, greatly heating the generator in the process. So I started researching the topic and found this site.

My goal is to be able to produce something like 5-10 liters of hydroxy in a reasonable amount of time, I'm thinking 1LPM would be nice. The power source would be my cars battery, probably with the engine running, so as not to drain the battery. The reason for this is that I want to have my fun in a remote area where I don't upset my neighbors as I live in a small village. So my car will be the only power source available.

I've got some 0.5mm (~25 gauge) 304 stainless steel plate I wish to use for electrodes. I've found a clear plastic container that would be suitable for the generator housing.

I have read a lot about neutral/unipolar plates so I will add those to my setup. I also found the HHOCalculator from hho4free, and read about not overdriving the plates (max 0.5A per sq in plate).

I have also stumbled upon plate preparation, cleansing and conditioning and I had a look at the D9.pdf document.

I will be using a simple bubbler and I will make a WiFi enabled detonation device so I can ignite the mix at a safe distance using a HV generator from ebay.

I have a few questions though:

1. Plate spacing. I have seen 0.79mm or 1/32" mentioned so I planned with this. But the D9 document mentions 3-5mm. I guess it all depends on a lot of things and but since lots of information is regarding dry cells, I wanted to hear where should I begin with a wet cell?

2. Plate preparation, cleansing and conditioning. I saw something about parahydrogen and orthohydrogen where plate cleansing and conditioning is very important to get orthohydrogen which is what makes engines more efficient. But when I'm not aiming for efficient fossil fuel combustion, can I omit the lengthy process of proper cleansing and conditioning?
My current idea is to score the plate surfaces with course grit emery cloth (should I use sandpaper instead?), assemble the generator and then clean out any contaminants by filling it with a citric acid solution, no power connected. Then flush it with NaOH solution and add my final solution for operation.

3. Distilled water. In my country, we can't readily buy distilled water, only demineralized water by ion-exchange. Can I use that? Can I use the water from my condenser tumble dryer instead?

Remember when replying, I'm not going to produce hundreds of liters of HHO every day in a vehicle.

I hope there is still life left in this forum for a hobbyist like me with alternative motives for making HHO  Smiley
PDJ
Say NO to high fuel prices.....
Administrator

There is a lot you can do with Water!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 02:54:08 AM »

1. Plate spacing. I have seen 0.79mm or 1/32" mentioned so I planned with this. But the D9 document mentions 3-5mm. I guess it all depends on a lot of things and but since lots of information is regarding dry cells, I wanted to hear where should I begin with a wet cell?

2. Plate preparation, cleansing and conditioning. I saw something about parahydrogen and orthohydrogen where plate cleansing and conditioning is very important to get orthohydrogen which is what makes engines more efficient. But when I'm not aiming for efficient fossil fuel combustion, can I omit the lengthy process of proper cleansing and conditioning?
My current idea is to score the plate surfaces with course grit emery cloth (should I use sandpaper instead?), assemble the generator and then clean out any contaminants by filling it with a citric acid solution, no power connected. Then flush it with NaOH solution and add my final solution for operation.

3. Distilled water. In my country, we can't readily buy distilled water, only demineralized water by ion-exchange. Can I use that? Can I use the water from my condenser tumble dryer instead?

Remember when replying, I'm not going to produce hundreds of liters of HHO every day in a vehicle.

Re #1 - the closer together the plates are the more heat they will generate. You really want to reach a happy medium of maximum production and minimum heat / Amperage

Re #2 - The main reason for plate preparation is to give a larger surface area for production. I personally only worry about roughing up the surface area.

Re #3 - I am happy using bottled water and pay $4 for 10 litres here in Australia

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
Futterama

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 04:35:20 AM »

Hi PDJ, thanks for your reply.

I seems to me that this forum had it's glory days back in 2011, it's a shame there's not much activity any more as there is a lot of great information here.

1. I thought closer plates means less heat as there is less water for the current to travel through and it's the water that is the main electrical resistance? Of course, there needs to be enough room for the bubbles to escape and let new water contact the surface of the plates. I'll get some 0.8mm nylon spacers for a start and just stack them if I need more space. I'll watch the heat when changing spacing assuming I can keep the same current by adjusting the NaOH content.

2. I'll stick to the scoring using sandpaper or emerald cloth, whichever I find the most effective and hoping it won't leave any un-removable particles behind.

3. Bottled water, yes, but how is it processed? I did a test using the water from my condenser tumble dryer, and it is definitely better than tap water for this use, but it smells a bit of washing detergent and it foams a bit too, the foaming is what concerns me the most. My other options are demineralized (purified) water ($2 USD for 1 liter) or making my own distilled water.
PDJ
Say NO to high fuel prices.....
Administrator

There is a lot you can do with Water!

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »

Hey Futterama
I started this Forum when I could not find the information I was looking for and it soon started attracting attention.
People seem to have gotten tired of looking at outlandish claims from the "Glass Jar" sites.
Yes you are right, the chatter has slowed down a great deal here, but that is only because of the vast amount of knowledge that has already been placed here - visitors are able to find what they are looking for and wander off to do their thing.
Interestingly we still get a huge amount of Visitor traffic.
There are 3571 Members who have made 3893 posts
Of the Visitors coming here, they look at all the different information on over 2000 pages a day and the best month has had 140,000 pages viewed.
I am happy to keep the site going as it seems to be helping a great deal of people.
Enjoy your time here.
Paul
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:59:48 PM by PDJ » Logged

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
Girogearloose

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:37:09 AM »

Yes HHO does make a loud noise but please remember it is not a toy HHO has enough trouble trying to convince people it is safe which it is just like a 240 volt power switch when used correctly but like 240 if you don't understand it it can do more then just make a noise it can bite. Think about this HHO has been used in mines for blasting hmmmmm so it has some umph but after you learn about it you will understand that it is a lot safer than fossil fuel  when the correct procedures are followed like using a bubbler or 2 and a flashback arrestor. have fun but don't be a dick and bring HHO unwanted publicity  Grin Wink

Futterama

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 02:42:09 AM »

have fun but don't be a dick and bring HHO unwanted publicity
I do take every precaution I can and I will keep the above in mind too  Cheesy
Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.