Hydrogen, Fuel Catalyst and Alternative Fuel Forum
October 02, 2014, 05:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: **** There is a huge volume of information in this Forum and our statistics show each guest visiting is here for a great while...... If you are a member, the Avatar icons in the far left become darker and once you have read the info they become lighter. This will help you to identify what you have already read......... Become a member..... It costs you nothing and after all, this Forum was put here for you - I can guarantee you will get no spam using your email to register ****

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Will hydrogen damage my engine  (Read 6326 times)
Me

« on: July 18, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »

Hello. Like the forum and I like the idea of being able to bring my petrol bill down. Its getting too much to pay now. Does anyone know if there is anything bad about using hydrogen? I previously used an oil additive from a well known engine treatment company and it ended up destroying my main oil seal. I suppose my question is if hydrogen is so good and safe to use why dont every car already use the stuff.
PDJ
Say NO to high fuel prices.....
Administrator

There is a lot you can do with Water!

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:31:17 PM »

Does anyone know if there is anything bad about using hydrogen?

Hi Me (love the user name) - Welcome to the Forum.

I had originally started answering your question and got a little carried away with myself. I ended up going into quite a bit of detail.

I ended up transfering it to the Information part of this forum at http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=126.0

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
67Coug

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »

No,it won't harm your engine.  Consider that the typical HHO device will produce about 15 to 20 Btu's of energy per minute, while your car is consuming about 4,000 Btu's per minute of energy produced by the gasoline it is burning.  So this miniscule amount of hydrogen is not enough to affect anything.
erice1984

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 06:26:38 PM »

its not the BTU's that will affect anything.  You have to look at the entire picture.

I am under the impression of a few facts:

Hydrogen burns faster than gasoline.
Hydrogen has a higher octane rating.

Two things will happen.

Since hydrogen burns faster than gas, your timing will need to be adjusted.  Not a big adjustment but a slight one.
The increased octane rating allows you to run higher psi if your car is turbo or supercharged, and result in more horsepower.

Tuning is not necessary, yet I don't believe in "masking" a sensor's signal, its not safe.

That is what I have found/read/learned while I was at school (Universal Tech Institute: Auto Technician) and college I am doing right now for mechanical engineering.
67Coug

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »

Some problems with the previous post:  Timing is not controlled by the oxygen sensor but rather by RPM, coolant temperature, throttle position, maniflold absolute pressure (MAP), ambient air temperature and in some engines, a knock sensor.  The O2 sensor has very little, if any, efffect.   Next, if the added hydrogen results in a more complete fuel burn thus consuming more oxygen, the exhaust gas will contain less oxygen which the computer is programmed to read as a rich mixture.  So the computer will then reduce fuel, not add more.    Third, using an EFIE artificially leans the mixture and is what gives any measurable increase in mileage.   Finally, the last sentence seems contradictory.  How can the use of an EFIE be likened in any to the use of a supercharger?!
chief

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »

If you don't have a good bubbler system that will scrub the HHO before it enters the intake, it will eat away at any components it makes contact with, like the throttle body (most are made of aluminum) and if you induce it before your MAF/MAP it will damage the sensor.

Unless something really bad happen and you end up inducing some of your solution into the intake and engine is not running and have aluminum heads like most newer cars.  yes you will encounter a big mess, from what I've in here and I've only been in here a day there is a lot of data in here to prevent anyone from doing something stupid.
charlesdickens

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »

I have found that if you do not change the spark plugs that you can cause some damage to your engine. double plats are good.

does anyone know the distance that the tubing needs to be away from the intake manifold? or the throttle body? Mine is through the air filter and about 1.5 inches from the butterflies on the throttle body.
myoldyourgold

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »

does anyone know the distance that the tubing needs to be away from the intake manifold? or the throttle body? Mine is through the air filter and about 1.5 inches from the butterflies on the throttle body.

You have it in a good position.  I have found the closer to the throttle body the better.  I am experimenting with a special venturi just above the throttle body that looks promising.  More testing with this venturi is needed before I could recommend it.  The purpose of the venture is to get slightly more HHO in during acceleration.   In some newer cars there is a MAP sensor after the throttle body that will need to be treated in some cases and in most to see good gains. 

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha
lhazleton

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:34 AM »

Just gotta be careful when installing a venturi. The first time I made one, it slipped & just barely touched the butterfly. It was enough to keep the throttle open. Luckily, I was able to pull off the road and remove it before anything bad happened.
  Make sure it's very secure in the intake tube! Roll Eyes

I'm lost...If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait............
myoldyourgold

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »

You are right on there.  Mine is mounted on the rim of the throttle body.  Kind of hard to explain but is impossible to move. The HHO is fed through three small tubs that hold the venturi in the center and are brazed onto a ring that is firmly fastned to the rim of the throttle body.  These little pipes are curved and flattened a little to work like blades to swirl the air coming in.   The HHO exits slots around the inner part of the venturi.   I am having some problems with the computer and have to cycle the computer enough times to see really what is happening.  The adaptive abilities I am hoping will sense a little less volume with the obstruction, like high altitude making it go lean but still accepting the volume of HHO I am feeding it.  Lots to muck around with to get it right if I ever do.  LOL  The object is to not have to use electronics to satisfy CARB in California.   They are real SOB's.   So far no cigars though.  If I do get it to work this will all be injection molded and not have any metal parts which might be affecting the HHO. 

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: