Hydrogen, Fuel Catalyst and Alternative Fuel Forum
August 16, 2017, 02:43:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: **** There is a huge volume of information in this Forum and our statistics show each guest visiting is here for a great while...... If you are a member, the Avatar icons in the far left become darker and once you have read the info they become lighter. This will help you to identify what you have already read......... Become a member..... It costs you nothing and after all, this Forum was put here for you - I can guarantee you will get no spam using your email to register ****

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: end plates as ground?  (Read 2377 times)
ROADTRASH

« on: June 22, 2012, 10:36:38 AM »

Hi all my name is Steve I am very new to this world of HHO I built a dry cell and am using the end plates for the ground connection what are the pros and cons of doing this???
D.O.G.

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 02:58:27 AM »

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum and the wide world of HHO. Grin

Pros:
Can't really think of any general ones, maybe there are vehicle specific advantages?

Cons:
You will find it difficult to use a PWM if you need/want to.
The chassis of a vehicle often isn't a reliable, low resistance connection at the current levels we tend to use.

OK, there's nothing "wrong" with doing that if it suits your particular application, it probably makes for a less versatile reactor though.

Did you have a particular reason for building it that way?

ROADTRASH

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:51:11 AM »

thanks for the reply just thought it would be less wires to have to run
it seems to work
 I am confused about the PWM
D.O.G.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »

A Pulse Width Modulator serves to control the current in a circuit while maintaining full voltage.
It works by switching on and off many times a second, the width of the pulse thus generated can by varied to power the circuit for a shorter or longer percentage of that second.
If one was connected to the headlights of your car, the effect would look similar ( but electrically quite different) to an ordinary dimmer switch on your house lighting.

Most commercially available PWM's are designed to switch the negative (ground) leg of a circuit, so you would have to isolate (rubber mount, or similar) the reactor from the chassis before the PWM would work. All the cheap e-bay ones are like this.

It is possible to get or build a PWM designed to switch the positive leg of the circuit, in which case you could leave the reactor mounted directly to the chassis, but this may be a more expensive, or custom made, device.

Of course you don't have to use a PWM to control current. Many people simply adjust their electrolyte concentration to draw the current they want.

Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: