Hydrogen, Fuel Catalyst and Alternative Fuel Forum
October 17, 2017, 01:17:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ..... If you find the information in this Forum useful, please consider giving a small donation to help us keep this site going .....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Electrolyte  (Read 10933 times)
sam

« on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »

Has anybody's used the electrolyte which is advertised in America and UK n.c.e noncaustic this could be a good way to go would be interesting if anybody has used it yet. and what it is made of it is meant  to a food standard grade. your Sam
myoldyourgold

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »

How is this advertised?  Can you give us more details so we can look into it?  So far there is nothing that I know of that beats NaOH or KOH.  You do not have to use it at full strength except in the winter to keep things from freezing so it is not so bad. 

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha
lhazleton

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »

Hey Carter,
  Glad to see you in here, my friend!

I'm lost...If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait............
ntatnell

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »

Hi all im new to all this but very keen can anyone tell me what percentage you mix your electrolyte up to and what one is the best  thank
myoldyourgold

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »

NaOH (lye) 20% max

KOH (potassium hydroxide) 28%

Both work well some prefer one over the other. 100% Lye  is easier to get.  I have had better long term results with it so prefer it but that does not mean KOH is not as good.   If you use maximum strength of either one you will need to use a PWM.  A well constructed reactor will run very well on 8 to 12 percent NaOH.  Because of so many variables in construction, design, size of plates, and gasket thickness, there is no set rule but 8 to 12 % is at least a place to start if you are not using a PWM.   

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

BoneHead

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »

NaOH (lye) 20% max
KOH (potassium hydroxide) 28%

Lee, how do you figure that 3lbs of KOH is = to 28%

I have spent a little bit of time trying to verify 28% of KOH is egual to 3 lbs per gallon of water.
28% of 8.35lbs is 2.338 lbs. by weight
28% of 128 ounces is 35.84 ounces by volume

Are you saying you use more than the 28% mixture?

Neither is close to the 3 lbs
I'm not trying to rattle your bones but just curious as to how to figure this out.     

HHOPWR

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:22:44 PM »

Don't forget that one gallon of water plus about 3 pounds of KOH is more than a gallon. The KOH takes up space.

Here is how I always figure it but your calculation will always depend on the purity of KOH. Most is 90% KOH. The other 10% is just distilled water.

One gallon is 8.34 pounds. A solution of 28% KOH starting with one gallon of distilled water would have a final weight of 11.58 pounds.

11.58 pounds minus 8.34 pounds of water is 3.24 pounds of KOH. Figuring a 90% putity of KOH  Lees calculation of 3 pounds is almost spot on because of the 10% water that is in the flake.

Larry
lhazleton

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »

Thanks Larry. It's nice to have backup when Carter starts thinking. Grin
The KOH I've always used is 92% flake according to the label. Roll Eyes
The best way of measuring is by using a battery hydrometer, but of course, I forget what it's supposed to read for 28%. DUH!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:34:13 PM by lhazleton » Logged

I'm lost...If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait............
myoldyourgold

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »

Even though I am a NaOH guy

28% KOH is 1.2609   http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/spcfgrvkoh.cgi?submit=Entry

20% NaOH is 1.2296     http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/naohtble3.cgi?submit=Entry

THINK never!!! that could do some damage.

Vidya123

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 06:23:06 AM »

Researchers have moved a step closer to overcoming one of the key hurdles to developing low-cost solar cells based on dye-coated titanium dioxide.Dye-sensitised solar cells (DSCs) were invented by Michael Grätzel and Brian O'Regan some 20 years ago, and consist of a thin film of titanium dioxide coated with a ruthenium-based dye, in contact with a redox electrolyte.
Havens78

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »

I won't admit to how many forums i've been searching looking for this table. 

This is great!

Even though I am a NaOH guy

28% KOH is 1.2609   http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/spcfgrvkoh.cgi?submit=Entry

20% NaOH is 1.2296     http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/naohtble3.cgi?submit=Entry

THINK never!!! that could do some damage.

Juglenaut

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 01:07:09 AM »

Where are you getting your electrolytes carter as it seems cost prohibitive since 3 or more pounds is use to make one gallon of juice.

Naoh cost around here is about 3-4 dollars a pound and koh is less at 2-3.

are you worried about metal salts and peroxides?

The reason I ask is I built my first reactor over 20 years ago and ran into problems using these electrolytes even with a filter, bubbler and been work on ways to remove the electrodes and extracting oxygen and expelling o2 or dissolving into the bubbler, the only thing I wanted my bubbler to do is remove oxygen singlet and 02.

Water is charged however neutral and the charge of oxygen is negative even while bonded to hydrogen, water h20 is a stable form of oxidized hydrogen.

I usually end up using something the goes back to the table and can be reused again and again since the use of hydroxides do not last as dissimulation affects hydroxides similar to h20, I understand that this is being split to in the process and some gain from using hydroxides, sodium will drop off and form a metal salt or sodium salts even with ss340 and becomes useless and un-recyclable. So yeah do not use tap water.

the ph drops with electrolysis and hydroxides are basic, sodium peroxide, sodium nickle  is formed and dissolves into the solution and peroxides will react with liberated iron.

I am far from new to this.

Why..how do you charge a lead acid battery???

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:10:54 AM by Juglenaut » Logged
Juglenaut

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »

It's how I perceive that naoh interacts with water not reacts.

I perceive that naoh will appear to dangle off the oxygen in water as the hydroxide is not acting with the hydrogen in water, similar with koh and I perceive a incomplete circle.

Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.