Hydrogen, Fuel Catalyst and Alternative Fuel Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:23:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: **** Latest 2017 estimates are that we have between 50 and 89 years of Fossil Fuels left based on present production - We have an obligation to humanity to explore all possible Fossil Fuel alternatives...... Do your bit for humanity and invite all your friends to this Forum.........

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Who has actually experienced an in the vehicle, engine instigated 'flashback'?  (Read 4012 times)
Dynaboy

« on: July 11, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »

I have read so much about bubblers & flashback arrestors & seen so many offered for sale.
Having had a reasonable amount of experience with LPG and see an occasional 'backfire' with bad hook ups etc.  these occur with 100% fuel & sure, can blow to lid off an air filter box.
With HHO the percentage as fuel is very low.  Operator induced flashbacks give a nice bang with the HHO in the tube, but I have yet to see the results of a HHO generator blown apart.
What is your experience?
myoldyourgold

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »

I have, while testing different mixtures in a 20 inch bubbler, running 16 lpm, had the flashback make it back to the reactors.  The damage was only to the top gaskets which were blown out and distorted causing the reactors to leak.  This was an intentional ignited flashback.   

With a high volume of fine bubbles that are so close to each other, you have to be careful because the bubbler becomes so saturated with gas that the flame travels right through the material.  I suspect this would also happen with water but have not tested it.  The bubbler would have been destroyed but was saved by the flash pot.  Believe me I was quite a distance away and had my ear plugs in.  I could feel the blast.  Not a test I will ever need to do again.  LOL

If this had happened in a confined area in a vehicle and the reactors were not shut off, and there was an additional spark source this could be a problem.  With the large volume of gas that would be leaking out of the reactors in the confined area and the additional spark you can imagine the result. 

None of this happens with smaller volumes of gas or the use of multiple bubblers to handle the volume.   

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha
kenterprise

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:33 PM »

I had two "events". Both on same engine turbo diesel with intercooler. Never had a "bubbler" or flash back arrester.The tank and the generator were OK but both times the engine intercooler were damaged. Interesting that on both times the filter was sucked not blow out!
Hot plug  -  as most diesel engines have - generated the gas / air mixture ignition.
A bubbler for safety reasons is "cool" but his real function is to "wash" the catalyst from gas and prevent spill of electrolyte - if the tank or generator are so poor build that not hold the gas explosion. If there is a miss-fire the damage is done already!
Dutchy78

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »

Interesting, the glow plug problem. I had not thought of that. I too own a turbo diesel with intercooler which I am building a system for now, thinking I would be spared of flashbacks because the diesels fire after tdc. Valued info thanks!
Autowrench

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »

Well, my aged Uncle, bless his heart, looked at my own jar type reactor and made himself one for testing. He filled the jar, and attached a 6 foot long hose, turned on the battery charger, and held a match to the end of the hose. The jar exploded all over his garage, and nearly scared my poor aunt half to death.
jerdova

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »

Hmm, I've never heard about it

I'm proud that I'm a programer. Because I can control all slots, memory, devices and other staff on my PC
PDJ
Say NO to high fuel prices.....
Administrator

There is a lot you can do with Water!

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »

I think the question should be "Who has experienced a Back Fire"...... Short answer - Everyone!.....

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.