Hydrogen, Fuel Catalyst and Alternative Fuel Forum
August 16, 2017, 08:35:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: **** There is a huge volume of information in this Forum and our statistics show each guest visiting is here for a great while...... If you are a member, the Avatar icons in the far left become darker and once you have read the info they become lighter. This will help you to identify what you have already read......... Become a member..... It costs you nothing and after all, this Forum was put here for you - I can guarantee you will get no spam using your email to register ****

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Driving Tips to save fuel from the RYFB web site  (Read 21479 times)
PDJ
Say NO to high fuel prices.....
Administrator

There is a lot you can do with Water!

« on: August 27, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »

Excessive Idling

Avoid situations where your engine is idling for prolonged periods of time. In a "Bumper to Bumper" traffic jam, you will use 19% more fuel to travel the same distance.

Accelerating Fast

This pours fuel into your engine and you will use much less by gradually increasing your speed. Accelerating rapidly will use anywhere up to 50 litres per 100kms, gradual speed increases will use 1/4 of the fuel and you will still get to your destination.

Cruise Control

If your car is fitted with this, use it on highway driving. This maintains a constant speed for a minimum amount of fuel use and you will save between 7% & 14%.

Use Discount Vouchers

Shop for your groceries where they offer fuel discount vouchers and use them. Every cent discount you get is money that remains in your pocket. Work it out..... 4c/l discount voucher + 10c/l on discount days on an 80 l tank = $11.20 cheaper per tank per week or $582.40 cheaper per year...... This will pay a big slice of your registration.

Choose The Right Day To Fill Up

Monitor the daily prices at your local fuel station. In Australia our fuel is nearly 10c/ltr cheaper on some days each week. Fill up only on the cheapest days in your area but be alert - The cheap days can change, sometimes Tuesday and Wednesday but I have noticed that as of late all stations in my local area now have cheap days on Fri. and Sat. I believe this has something to do with the regular fuel delivery days to the station.

Wind Resistance

Though all cars are aerodynamically designed, they still create wind resistance as they travel down the road. Going a little slower and winding up your windows decreases drag and uses less fuel.
Ride the Slipstream - On highway trips you will use considerably less fuel if you follow a truck and ride at a safe distance in its wind slipstream.

Drive Under the Speed Limit

Never exceed the legal speed limit. Primarily they are set for your travelling safety, however better fuel efficiency also occurs. Travelling at 90 km/h instead of 100 km/h give you up to 12% better economy.
Do Not Drive Aggressively - Slowing down or speeding up unnecessarily wastes fuel. Being a more patient driver will save you up to 30% on your fuel.

Do Not Break Hard

Apart from saving money on replacing break pads, getting into the habit of gradual breaking encourages you to also start accelerating gradually and you save more fuel.
Think Ahead - On approaching hills you will use 25% of the fuel needed to get over it if you accelerate before reaching it and cruise over.

Alternate Roads

In suburban driving, the shortest distance between two points may NOT be a straight line. If there are many traffic lights and other cars slowing you down on the road you choose, you will use less fuel maintaining a constant speed when you go the long way round.

Remove Excess Weight

Do not carry unnecessary items in your boot. For every kilo you have in your car, there is a corresponding amount of fuel needed to keep your car going forward.

Plan Your Trips

Do not use your car un-necessarily. Wherever possible try to do more than one thing each time you go out (eg. dropping someone off and doing your shopping at the same time)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:52:03 AM by PDJ » Logged

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
Frustrated

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:34:43 AM »

I find that driving my manual car without revving the motor too much before changing gears keeps the RPM down and I use less fuel. I dont know how much, but I must use less if the revs are down.
PDJ
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:24:05 PM »

This is advice and questions from Benno5555 that was emailed to me from the RYFB web site.

Brake a car, break an egg./ Carburetors have an accelerator pump used for cooling and costs gas. FI does not.   Same energy to go to a different speed. Isn't FI different and less fussy about the rate of change?/ For sure going slower for better mileage in NOT always true. Both my cars are more efficient at 75mph than at 60 by 3mpg because the airflow is more laminar at the higher speed. that would be a 99 ford taurus and a n 03 buick century.

D.O.G.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:41:02 AM »

Hi folks!
Practicing driving tips like these = money in your pocket.
I've spent some time recently on the "conventional" fuel economy web sites and am currently using about 10% less fuel than 3 months ago, mainly by driving style changes, combined with a few easy mechanical mods. This is without running HHO - so far.
Ecomodder has good "hypermiling" and "efficiency mods" lists (just don't mention HHO!).
Autospeed has some great articles on aerodynamic mods for fuel economy.
Gassavers also has some good stuff (and are happy to talk about HHO!).

As always with general lists, only some of the ideas will apply to your particular circumstances. No problem, pick the ones you like and ignore the rest.

I've spent a few years chasing fuel economy via HHO but was always irked by the fact that I couldn't prove (to myself) that improvements were directly attributable to the HHO. At the moment, I'm trying to eliminate that uncertainty by establishing the best result I can get without HHO, then I'll know that any further improvements are the real deal.

Pete. Tongue

PDJ
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:41:18 AM »

I've spent a few years chasing fuel economy via HHO but was always irked by the fact that I couldn't prove (to myself) that improvements were directly attributable to the HHO. At the moment, I'm trying to eliminate that uncertainty by establishing the best result I can get without HHO, then I'll know that any further improvements are the real deal.

Hi Pete - Welcome to the Forum - Interesting post in many ways.

As people become aware of their need to reduce their fuel they do change their driving habits in one way or many ways. Unscrupulous businesses offering magical pills to reduce fuel use played on this and all their devote folowers swore as to the effectiveness. They always failed on professional analysis. I have to be fair here, there were several that did work until fuel management computers and Oxygen sensors made them ineffective in modern cars.

Re HHO making a definable difference there is a simple check I have done - compare the amount of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust from with and without HHO. Less to zero hydrocarbons in the exhaust will indicate that more of the fuel is being burned in the cylinder being converted into mechanical energy.

I have done a considerable amount of testing of many different fuel saving methods.

Though not a long distance field test I often try a set distance to determine effectiveness of different systems and products.

I fill my tank to near overflowing, get on a highway and drive at 100kph for 100 kilometers, turn around and come back and refill at the same fuel station with the same pump. I have done this on standard unleaded, fuel saving products, octane boosting products, HHO and acetone. All gave me savings and were not influenced by changed driving habits as the speed was constant.

To verify my results I organised a prolonged field test with the owner of a business that makes efies - If you have not already seen it, have a look at http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=76.0

There is one really good result from changing your driving habits and it is not just saving fuel. I have a v6 Statesman and the mechanic says the motor is as tight as when it was new.

myoldyourgold

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »

Pete, have always enjoyed all of your posts.  Great stuff!!  You are so right in regards to gains with HHO.  In most cases the only gain is a clean exhaust and decarbonizing of the engine, which results in gains in some older cars.  Now I do not say this to throw a wet towel on HHO but just the opposite.  There are cases where exceptional mileage has been obtained on certain vehicles and has been verified.  What I have found is just using HHO and NOT tuning the vehicle to the max (lean which is possible with HHO, and proper timing) and not adding other things will not result in significant gains most of the time.  Some times yes and I have no explanation for some of them.  I can say that the use of water injection and negative ion/ozone along with a properly tuned lean mixture makes it well worth it.  There are other things that have not been verified yet that could change the whole picture and are on going right now.  Should be a very interesting few months coming up.   One other interesting thing that I have found is when you add HHO to someones car they are more attentive to how they drive and in many cases are more conservative in there driving habits.  I guess that is a plus.  LOL       

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha
colbyhoren

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:42:32 AM »

Tyre pressure should be checked at least once a month and at the start of a journey.
PDJ
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »

We all constantly hear that changing your driving habits will reduce your fuel use. I personally found it a little difficult to do until I started using the engine revs as my indicator.

I have now been limiting my revs to nothing over 2000rpm in my 6 cylinder car and it is amazing how much more I get out of each tank of fuel.

2000rpm allows me to accelerate and meet in with traffic flow on the highway and on flat stretches of road I find 1750rpm has me travelling at 100km/h.

fossell

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:53:11 AM »

What are your thoughts on useing cruise control ?? is it better for fuel or not . I have heard it is not and im thinking its not my self . All the cars i have driven with them are up and down all the time and i find i get a smoother ride with the old number 10 boot because i see a hill up ahead and adjust to suit and back off on the way down and i dont drive through the corner when i carnt see around it  Roll Eyes . were as the cruise control is on off on off on off and yes this is on new cars as well. My sisters car has an after market one and i thought it was not adjusted right but my miss,s new I30 does the same its ok on flat stuff but hills are annoying .

You know whats his name he got a new thingy mar jig for his what ya mar call it :-)
PDJ
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »

What are your thoughts on useing cruise control ?? is it better for fuel or not . I have heard it is not and im thinking its not my self . All the cars i have driven with them are up and down all the time and i find i get a smoother ride with the old number 10 boot because i see a hill up ahead and adjust to suit and back off on the way down and i dont drive through the corner when i carnt see around it  Roll Eyes . were as the cruise control is on off on off on off and yes this is on new cars as well. My sisters car has an after market one and i thought it was not adjusted right but my miss,s new I30 does the same its ok on flat stuff but hills are annoying .

Suppose it depends on the model car, the size of the engine and how sensitive the cruise control settings are.
I have reason to drive to a certain destination 2 hours away several times a month and I have checked the fuel use with and without the cruise control and it definitely saves me fuel.

myoldyourgold

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »

Paul is right but there is one exception and that is in the case of extremely hilly terrain, especially more drastic quick changes in elevation (steep hills).   The speed control wants to keep the vehicle at a consistent speed regardless if there are hills or not.  Much more gas will be consumed going up a steep hill maintaining 150 KM compared to going up the same hill keeping the throttle position the same (no increase in fuel) and letting the vehicle slow down as it goes up.  Of course the vehicle dose slow down.  On a level road it is without question that it saves fuel as stated, especially in long runs.  I turn mine off when I come to a hill and control the ascent and decent myself.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha
Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.