Hydrogen, Fuel Catalyst and Alternative Fuel Forum
December 12, 2017, 01:14:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: **** There is a huge volume of information in this Forum and our statistics show each guest visiting is here for a great while...... If you are a member, the Avatar icons in the far left become darker and once you have read the info they become lighter. This will help you to identify what you have already read......... Become a member..... It costs you nothing and after all, this Forum was put here for you - I can guarantee you will get no spam using your email to register ****

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Maintenance Tips to save fuel from the RYFB web site  (Read 22533 times)
PDJ
Say NO to high fuel prices.....
Administrator

There is a lot you can do with Water!

« on: August 27, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »

Ignition System

Very important - If it is not working properly it will not be burning all the fuel that is pumped into the cylinder. Check for worn or cracked ignition leads. - Replace spark plugs regularly. - Check your distributor cap and rotor button for excessive wear and cracks. Your engine will provide you with sufficient spark to ignite your fuel - let the spark get through to where it will save you money.

Air Filter

You need a mixture of fuel and air for the ignition system to work properly. If your air filter is clogged, there will be insufficient air to allow full combustion. Replace it regularly - Do not starve your engine.

Radiator

When your engine is working properly it generates heat and it needs to be cooled down. The more heat, the more metal expansion and the more strain your motor has to work efficiently. Make sure all hoses are not leaking - Use a coolant and not water. Regularly check your coolant levels (constantly lowering levels indicates that there is a leak that needs to be fixed).

Oil Changes

Vital - Oil does not degrade, it simply becomes contaminated by exhaust leakage and worn metal particles from your engine. When it loses its viscosity (lubricating ability), all the moving metal components in your engine have increased friction as they find it more difficult to work. Regular oil changes with oil recommended for your car will save you major engine repairs and increase fuel efficiency.

Tyre Pressure

If your tyres are under inflated, there is more tyre on the road creating drag. All tyres are designed to be most efficient at their recommended tyre pressure. Keeping them at this pressure will also decrease your fuel use.

Fuel Injectors

The role of the Fuel Injectors is to convert the flow of petrol into a micro-fine mist of fuel that is mixed with air ready for combustion. If your injectors are clogged, there will be large droplets of fuel fed into your cylinder that will be ignited by your spark plugs but they will continue to burn as they leave the engine through the exhaust and this is lost power. Purchase an Injector Cleaner every 3 or 4 months and add it to your fuel to keep them in good condition.

Carbon Build-up

This will happen inside all cylinders that are not effectively burning all the fuel within the cylinder. Leaving this unchecked will allow valve seats to accumulate carbon and make it so that the power of combustion escapes before being converted to mechanical energy to make your car work. Purchase a carbon flush and add it to your fuel on a regular basis to stop this from happening. The result is you are using all created power to move your car - obviously using less fuel.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:49:23 AM by Paul D. Jacobs » Logged

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
Dodge

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 05:54:38 AM »

I had a lot of soot in my exhaust and very low power in the engine and went to the mechanic.

Turned out that my timing was right off and needed to be reset. Now runs better, uses less gas and the soot is gone from the exhaust
PDJ
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:25:30 AM »

Turned out that my timing was right off and needed to be reset.

Obviously you have a pre-1996 vehicle with a carburettor. Post 1996 vehicles usually have fuel injection and the timing is automatically adjusted by your fuel computer.

nermalfrodo

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »

Just throwing in some past experience.  I had a '76 GMC pickup, and it had the big tires and lift kit and all.  I was always trying to make things smoother, and so to straighten the angle of the driveshafts a little I lowered the rear of the engine a bit.  It didn't stay that way because the distributor was hitting into the firewall and knocking the cap off.  I readjusted the engine and noticed a gain in power and fuel economy, albeit not an extreme amount.  Months later I discovered that the rotor had hit the cap and separated the two plate strip in the rotor, so it was making contact twice, and thus was giving my plugs a double spark, probably milliseconds apart, and I attributed that to the gains.  It may be something to look into, at least on older models.  Think of the two upper branches of a Y if it helps you visualize what had happened, with the bottom of the Y the center of the rotor.

Life is a state of existence
D.O.G.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »

I don't see that giving you a double spark, but it could possibly give you a spark of slightly longer duration?

The high voltage pulse to produce the spark is induced in the ignition coil by the points opening in the distributor.
The rotor only transmits that voltage pulse via cap & leads to the spark plug.
If the pulse was slightly longer than the standard time that the rotor is in proximity to the pick-up on the cap, extending that time that the rotor passes the pick-up by effectively lengthening the rotor may give a benefit at lower revs by allowing a more complete use of your fuel.

If I'm understanding the combustion process correctly, introducing HHO into the fuel mix, with it's faster flame front, would make the above redundant ... but it's an interesting observation, I'm glad you shared it.  Smiley

Stevo

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »

Air filters seem to be such a popular "mod" here in the U.S., but few people realize that higher flowing filters such as K&N can cause issues with mass airflow sensors over time. So, if you installed a high flow air filter you should periodically check and carefully clean your mass airflow sensor. Some vehicles respond better to a computer reset (not reflash) after doing so as well. A dirty MAF sensor will register less airflow and thus cause a lean condition which typically causes the computer to adjust the fuel trim and timing until other sensor readings appear correct.
mik3y

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »

Hi Admin PDJ,

First, I would like to thank you for these tips, when it comes to Tyre Pressure, yes, this is really noted that it can help to save fuel.

"More fuel economy: When the car is running on full tyres, it is also possible to maximize on mileage and it is common to see better fuel economy figures."

What can you say about this?

Ignition System

Very important - If it is not working properly it will not be burning all the fuel that is pumped into the cylinder. Check for worn or cracked ignition leads. - Replace spark plugs regularly. - Check your distributor cap and rotor button for excessive wear and cracks. Your engine will provide you with sufficient spark to ignite your fuel - let the spark get through to where it will save you money.

Air Filter

You need a mixture of fuel and air for the ignition system to work properly. If your air filter is clogged, there will be insufficient air to allow full combustion. Replace it regularly - Do not starve your engine.

Radiator

When your engine is working properly it generates heat and it needs to be cooled down. The more heat, the more metal expansion and the more strain your motor has to work efficiently. Make sure all hoses are not leaking - Use a coolant and not water. Regularly check your coolant levels (constantly lowering levels indicates that there is a leak that needs to be fixed).

Oil Changes

Vital - Oil does not degrade, it simply becomes contaminated by exhaust leakage and worn metal particles from your engine. When it loses its viscosity (lubricating ability), all the moving metal components in your engine have increased friction as they find it more difficult to work. Regular oil changes with oil recommended for your car will save you major engine repairs and increase fuel efficiency.

Tyre Pressure

If your tyres are under inflated, there is more tyre on the road creating drag. All tyres are designed to be most efficient at their recommended tyre pressure. Keeping them at this pressure will also decrease your fuel use.

Fuel Injectors

The role of the Fuel Injectors is to convert the flow of petrol into a micro-fine mist of fuel that is mixed with air ready for combustion. If your injectors are clogged, there will be large droplets of fuel fed into your cylinder that will be ignited by your spark plugs but they will continue to burn as they leave the engine through the exhaust and this is lost power. Purchase an Injector Cleaner every 3 or 4 months and add it to your fuel to keep them in good condition.

Carbon Build-up

This will happen inside all cylinders that are not effectively burning all the fuel within the cylinder. Leaving this unchecked will allow valve seats to accumulate carbon and make it so that the power of combustion escapes before being converted to mechanical energy to make your car work. Purchase a carbon flush and add it to your fuel on a regular basis to stop this from happening. The result is you are using all created power to move your car - obviously using less fuel.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:18:48 AM by PDJ » Logged
PDJ
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:42:12 PM »

Hi mik3y

Your link seems to say it all.
I am no expert on Pneumatic's, but it makes sense that having a more controlled constant pressure in the tires allows you more accurate inflation.
Probably something to do with the density of the gas and not reacting to temperature extremes as much as air.

PDJ
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:43:36 PM »

Though there may be fuel savings, I expect it would be minimal.
The main benefit would be more controlled even tire wear.

mik3y

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »

I see, hmm, awesome insights. So it might just be the same as the usual air, right? So better just use air, I think, because Nitrogen will just also cost some $$$  Grin
D.O.G.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 08:07:29 AM »

Grin
In regards to nitrogen in tyres -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCnWvMleVD0

Grin

Soza

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »

Awesome tips. Can't hurt to save some fuel, and I imgine this more controlled kind of driving saves other parts as well.
PDJ
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 03:13:18 AM »

I imagine this more controlled kind of driving saves other parts as well.
Yep...... I actually had the Operation and removed the hunk of lead from my feet.
It is a good habit to get into
 Smiley
Paul

Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.