Hydrogen, Fuel Catalyst and Alternative Fuel Forum
September 22, 2017, 03:25:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: **** Latest 2017 estimates are that we have between 50 and 89 years of Fossil Fuels left based on present production - We have an obligation to humanity to explore all possible Fossil Fuel alternatives...... Do your bit for humanity and invite all your friends to this Forum.........

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pollutants from Stainless Steel?  (Read 932 times)
icy3141

« on: October 25, 2016, 06:56:29 PM »

I am new to this forum, new to HHO, and new to all things mechanical. But I love to learn.

I have been looking all over the internet for information on HHO, and I found plenty. I thought I was ready to build my first cell, but I came across a problem.

Stainless steel contains chromium and the anode generates oxygen, having an extremely oxidizing effect on the electrode. With oxidation, the regular chromium in stainless steel can become hexavalent chromium, a carcinogenic and acutely dangerous chemical.

Compared to getting the most LPM, there is hardly any information about chromium as a byproduct of HHO. But the few places that mention it have conflicting information. I have read chromium(VI) doesn't actually leech out of the steel and it's ok to dump it, I've read about alternate electrode materials, I've read you can neutralize it with other chemicals and then dispose of it, I've read you have to take the electrolyte to a hazardous waste disposal facility.

Stainless steel is definitely the electrode of choice from everything I've read... It seems titanium can't resist corrosion or conduct current well enough. Noble metals are supposedly how they split water in a lab, but platinum is too expensive for a simple home experiment.

I read ferrous sulfate can reduce chromium(VI) to less harmful chromium(III). Does anyone use this technique? How can it be disposed of after?

So I want to ask the experts, what do you do with your used electrolyte solution?
Do you have a procedure to dispose of hexavalent chromium?
Do you avoid stainless steel? If so, what do you use instead?

I was excited about this technology but I don't want to generate toxic waste...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:02:45 PM by icy3141 » Logged
Havens78

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:27:56 AM »

Research plate conditioning on this site.  Plate prep will eliminate your hex chrome worries.  Don't over drive the plates, no more than 1 amp per square inch if the plates are prepared correctly.

You will be fine working with 316l stainless, I have been using it since 2010.
Please consider Donating a small amount through the links at the top and bottom of each page. This helps to pay for the Web Hosting so as to offer you the information in this Forum. RYFB was set up as a Community Worldwide Service to help reduce our dependency on Damaging Fossil Fuels and we receive NO funding from any other source other than the occasional Donation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: